Smart Mauritius – Building Intelligent, Innovative and Sustainable Cities of the future
The Smart City Scheme is an ambitious economic development programme aimed at consolidating the Mauritian international business and financial hub by creating ideal conditions for working, living and spurring investment through the development of smart cities across the island.
The development of smart cities in Mauritius is opening up a plethora of investment opportunities.
The smart city project is a new initiative to stimulate innovative scientific and technological activities, provide technology-driven facilities to the business community and create a vibrant city lifestyle.
The Government of Mauritius has set up the Smart City Scheme to provide an enabling framework and a package of attractive fiscal and non-fiscal incentives to investors for the development of smart cities across the island.
The smart-city concept is about providing investors, nationals and foreigners, with options for living in sustainable, convenient and enjoyable urban surroundings.
These new cities will be built around the work-live-play lifestyle in a vibrant environment with technology and innovation at their core.
The concept paves the way for investors to develop and invest in:
- a mix of commercial, leisure and residential uses that, as a whole, achieves physical and functional integration and creates a pedestrian-oriented urban environment
- a combination of office, light industrial, education, medical and tourism clusters
- high technology and innovation cluster
- infrastructure to service green-field sites with roads and inspiring landscaping
- clean technology aimed at carbon and waste reduction, efficient transport
- low-energy-consumption buildings
- digital solutions, urban sensing technologies and big data analytics
- energy production and water management and utilities
- high-end residential estate
- real estate investment management
The Smart City Scheme provides an enabling framework and a package of attractive fiscal and non-fiscal incentives to investors for the development of smart cities across the island.